Whether you’re having a picnic lunch or dinner alfresco this salad with herb-crusted tofu is perfect for the summer months. It’s delicious, light and easy to make. Using cacao butter to fry and as a dressing in this salad makes it especially tasty and lifts up its sweet and aromatic flavours. Swapping out the traditional oils for cacao butter is a healthier option for summer salads like these. It’s 30% lower in saturated fats compared to coconut oil and is full of heart healthy fats too (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated)!
HERB CRUSTED TOFU
280 g firm tofu, pressed and cut into triangles
2 lemons, juiced
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup water (¼ cup for marinade, ¼ for crust)
½ cup almonds
Handful of fresh basil
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup plain flour (gluten-free if necessary)
6 x CHOC Chick Raw Cacao Butter wafers
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 cherry tomatoes (mix of red and yellow), halved
2 peppers, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 cup cup cooked quinoa
2 garlic cloves, minced
Handful of fresh basil
4 x CHOC Chick Raw Cacao Butter wafers
For the Tofu
- Drain any excess liquid from the tofu and press. Once pressed, cut into triangles (4-6).
- Place ¼ cup of water, lemon juice and garlic into a shallow dish along with the tofu and marinate for up to 1 hour.
- Place the almonds and basil into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Put the plain flour into a small dish, the remaining water into a second dish and the corn starch, almond mixture, salt and pepper into a third.
- Once you have marinated the tofu, coat each triangle of tofu in the flour, and quickly dip in the water before coating with the almond mixture. Set aside on a plate.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat 6 CHOC Chick cacao butter wafer over a medium heat. Once the beans have melted place each tofu triangle in the pan and fry on each side for a couple of minutes, until golden.
For the Salad
- Put all of the chopped vegetables into a large pan with the 4 CHOC Chick cacao butter wafer. Place over a low heat and sauté until soft (approx. 10 minutes).
- Stir in the quinoa, basil and dressing if desired. Serve with the herby tofu (hot or cold)
Simply drizzle the extra melted cacao butter over the salad as a dressing. It’s a great alternative to olive oil.