Peanut butter cups used to be one of my favourites and anyone who came over from the U.S. always knew to bring me a couple of bagfuls. However since getting back to the real taste of chocolate, I’ve totally gone off them and just find them far too sugary and sickly I’m afraid. But that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy the brilliant combination of peanut butter (only organic and ones using sustainable Palm Oil please!!) and raw chocolate now does it? So my daughter, Ella and I decided to make our own version of healthy peanut butter cups.
Takes: 40 minutes
Makes: 15 cups
100 g CHOC Chick Raw Cacao Butter
5-6 tbsp CHOC Chick Raw Cacao Powder
3-4 tbsp CHOC Chick Sweet Freedom (to taste) or Agave syrup
3 tbsp Organic and sustainably sourced peanut butter (we loveWhole Earth’s Smooth Organic Peanut Butter!)
- Follow the Simple Raw CHOC recipe, but as you will need to make 2 batches, use half the ingredients each time.
- Gently melt 50g raw cacao butter in a a bowl over a pan of water on a low heat. Once the cacao butter has melted, add the raw cacao powder and mix well with a metal balloon whisk. Mix in the Agave syrup/Sweet Freedom (taste the mix to make sure you have the right level of sweetness) and blend well. The consistency should be smooth and quite runny.
- Remove from heat and spoon 1tsp of the mix into each of the mini baking cups and place in the freezer to set for 15-20 mins.
- While the first layer is setting in the freezer, repeat Step 2 to make the top layer of raw chocolate.
- Once the chocolates have set, spoon in half a teaspoon of peanut butter into each baking cup, then top up with the second layer of the melted raw chocolate mixture.
- Place in freezer for around 15 minutes. Take out when chocolate has set, peel off the baking cups and your CHOCtastic Peanut Butter cups are ready to enjoy. Keep refrigerated if you can, unless you end up eating them all at once (very easily done, ours lasted around 30 seconds!!)